HN Holidays - Sardinia Corsica Sicily
Same personal service - more island choices



Advice for Customers Travelling After 31 October 2019 

This page is based on information provided by ABTA in the event of a No Deal Brexit and will be updated as new information becomes available.

In order to avoid any unnecessary disruption to your travel plans, ABTA suggests some steps you could take to ensure your holiday goes according to plan. These are some measures you MAY need to take.

Statement from ABTA

“The European Commission has said that even in a no-deal scenario, flights will still operate between the UK and EU, and a visa is not required. ABTA is providing holidaymakers and travellers with advice about Brexit and travel, including on pet passports and driving licences, which can be found at” (updated 18/12/2018)


Check the date your passport expires. When travelling after 31 October 2019, it is recommended that you have six months left on your passport on the date of your arrival in an EU country.

You may wish to renew your passport sooner rather than later, in order to make sure you have it in time for your holiday or travel plans.

You can renew your passport online or by going to a Post Office with a Check and Send service.

Please note: if you have renewed a 10 year adult passport prior to its expiry, you may have had extra months added to the duration of your passport. These extra months will not count towards the 6 months you must have remaining i.e. all passports expire 10 years from the date of issue. If you are unsure whether you need to renew your passport use this Government website tool to check your passports validity.

European Health Insurance Card & Travel Insurance

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the event of a No Deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid.

The best way to protect your holiday is to book a package – it is the travel provider’s responsibility to make sure your holiday is provided and to offer an alternative or refund if it cannot be delivered. 

You should always have appropriate travel insurance, even if travelling with an EHIC.  Your travel insurance should adequately cover you for your current circumstances. This includes any pre-existing medical conditions and any activities you plan to do. Please contact your insurance provider if you are unsure. It is also worth checking the detail of the policy around travel disruption including delays or cancellations as policies do vary.

Driving Licences

Currently, if you hold a full UK driving licence, there are no additional licences required if you are hiring a car in Europe. However, this could change after 31 October 2019 and you may need an International Driving Permit. These cost approximately £5.50 and are available directly from the Post Office, this needs to be applied for before travelling as these cannot be applied for when in the EU. Please note: you need to check carefully which permit is required for each country you intend to drive within as you may need more than one permit to comply with the law.

Green Cards for Car Insurance

In the event of a No Deal Brexit, drivers from the UK would be required to obtain and carry a Green Card in order to ensure your car insurance is applicable within the EU. These cards will be issued by your insurance company for a small fee. Please speak to your Insurance provider for more information. It is recommended that you contact your insurance company at least one month before you travel.

Data Roaming

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK. If the UK leaves without a deal these rules will no longer apply – however, some UK companies have said they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers. Before you travel, check with your mobile phone provider about the costs of using your phone within the EU.


Will flights still operate? 
If a deal is agreed then we will be in a transition period, meaning everything will stay the same until the end of December 2020. Even if we are in a no-deal scenario, the European Commission has confirmed an extension to legislation that allows UK airlines to operate flights between the UK and the EU until 24 October 2020 and the UK government has offered similar assurances for EU airlines.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit? 
The European Commission announced in November that, even in a no-deal scenario, UK travellers can still visit the EU without a visa, providing the same is offered to European citizens visiting the UK. The European Commission has said that from 2021, UK citizens will need to pay a fee (of around 7 Euros) for this visa exemption. This is part of a new electronic travel authorisation system applying to all third country visitors to the EU, similar to the US ESTA regime.

What happens if you book to travel after 31 October 2019 and your holiday cannot go ahead due to Brexit? 
In a no-deal scenario, the European Commission has said flights to and from the UK will still be able to operate. In any event, customers who book a package holiday with a UK travel company will be protected under the Package Travel Regulations, meaning they have a right to a full refund if the holiday can no longer be provided. The UK government has confirmed that the Package Travel Regulations will remain in the UK law when the UK leaves the EU.


The contents of our website and brochure are based on the prevailing applicable legislation and Regulations at the time of publication (December 2018). Certain clauses may no longer apply or may be subject to material variation due to changes in the applicable legislation that may occur subsequent to the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union on 31 October 2019. In the event of any such changes, Hargreaves & Nurse Ltd will not be responsible for any consequential loss which could not have reasonably been foreseen as likely to arise as a consequence of such changes if these changes become effective after the date of confirmation of a booking or any element thereof and which is not covered by the Package Travel Regulations.
For further information, please contact our customer services department or consult the following link:

Just Sardinia Just Corsica Just Sicily
+44 (0) 1202 484858
+44 (0) 1202 703500
+44 (0) 1202 489040
 Office hours: Monday - Friday 09:00 - 17:30
Sat 09:30 - 17:00
Write to us at: 14 Silver Business Park, Airfield Way, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 3TA
Just Sardinia, Just Corsica and Just Sicily are the trading names of Hargreaves & Nurse Limited registered in England with company number 40802844, and registered office at 14 Silver Business Park, Airfield Way, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 3TA ABTA No. W6775 ATOL Protected